Thursday, March 20, 2014

Who's On First?

 I am sorry if the lack of posting has led anyone to believe that we.had.the.baby.it's.a.boy because we have not had the baby yet, but I'm still betting money on a boy.  So what has been going on over in the Martin house?  It's been a comedy of errors, that's what.  My mom had bought an Abbot and Costello DVD with their Who's On First skit to show the kids, and our lives have sort of morphed into a real life version of it...
 
 
Last week, my Mom went in for what she thought was a minor hand surgery, and it turned out to be a bigger deal than expected and she is still recovering from that.  It's fine now, she just had to walk around, pledging allegiance to an invisible flag for a few days and then keep her hand dry for a couple weeks, and slowly start to be able to reuse it over the next weeks.  Which of course will make it hard to take care of my children when we do go to the hospital, but she's a supermom and it really hasn't slowed her down too much. 
 
On Sunday morning, I woke up with the stomach bug and had a horrible, terrible, no good day of laying in bed and/or running to the bathroom.  I finally took some Zofran and was able to keep down some toast at dinner time.  Thankfully, all of that stopped by Monday afternoon, but it did keep me in bed and out of work that day.  I woke up on Tuesday morning, around 3 am, having contractions and thinking it was time to go have the baby.  But we timed them for 3 hours, and they slowly petered out and I stayed home again on Tuesday from exhaustion and thinking the contractions might start up. 

What I thought would be my last pregnancy photo...

 
Poor, tired Phil went into work in order to save his sick days for when the baby is actually born.  I called my Mom to tell her that contractions had come and gone and that we had almost called her the night before.  She told me that it was a good thing the baby had stayed put because my Dad was flat on his back after putting it out trying to move a couch.  He couldn't even stand up, much less drive over to our house in the middle of the night! 
 
 Since the hospital is a lot closer to my parent's house than our house, and since my Dad was now homebound, we decided to crash at their house so that we would be ready to leave for the hospital and the kids would already be settled with my parents.  We all went over on Tuesday and have been here since.  The kids are loving this extended sleepover with Gammy and Grandpa!  By Tuesday night, I started feeling sick with a sore throat and ear ache, so on Wednesday morning I went in for a strep test which came out negative, but turns out I do have an ear infection and swollen lymph nodes so they put me on antibiotics.  Once again, I had to stay home from work.  In the meantime, between my mom's bad hand, my Dad's bad back , and my 9 month pregnant state, it's been , shall we say, amusing, to all who enter the house.  Who's helping whom?  Who's On First?
 
Love, true love.
I went to the midwife today for my appointment and told her everything that's been going on, and she said, "Well I'll check your cervix, and if you're dilated, do you want me to get things moving?" to which I replied a hearty YES! before she could even finish the question.  So she checked me, found I was one centimeter (after days of contractions and pressure and aches and cramping...boo) but very "soft" and the baby's head is nice and low.  She worked her magic and told me that I should be going into labor within 24 hours.  That was at noon today, so fingers crossed!!  I've been taking walks and drinking red raspberry leaf tea to see if it helps.
 
Two walks on the first day of Spring (see that very pregnant reflection?)
I'll be going to bed soon, trying hard to fall asleep, and hopefully the next time you see me it will be with a baby in my arms :)
 

30 comments:

  1. Praying for you! Yikes, that is a lot going on and I hope everyone is feeling better very very soon. Can't wait to see that little Martini!

    (P.S. Don't mean to be annoying but think about starting some great probiotics to counteract the antibiotics. The antibiotics can lead to thrush after the babe is here and who wants to deal with that during their babymoon?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Heavens.
    Bless your little pregnant soul.
    And I must confess, I did think you were snuggling that little babe today, since you were MIA lately.
    Prayers and hugs and prayers and love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You poor thing dealing with all that sickness while being pregnant, God Bless You!! Hope the baby comes soon and quick, the red raspberry tea should help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard pineapples or pineapple june helps… Get your hubby to run out and get you some!!!

    Though I drank a huge can of pineapple juice and it did not do a thing for me. I tried everything short of Castor oil to get #3 out and still ended up getting induced!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You poor thing! I can't believe you're getting so sick while being so pregnant, so not fair. I will be praying and watching the web for you and baby Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my….this is a comedy of errors….but not so funny if you are ACTUALLY living it. Hoping your mom heals and your Dad's back is better.
    Wishing you a nice and easy delivery of your baby. You sure it's a boy???
    I don't know…..I'm feeling….
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man...sorry to hear about the injuries and sickness. It does sound like a comedy of errors! We'll pray for you and your (hopefully soon) upcoming labor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've been praying for you and Baby Martini! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Colleen!! What an awful week! I'm so sorry you have been so sick and I hope we get to hear about the arrival of your sweet baby soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thought about you all stinkin' day...come on out baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you guys have had a rough week. Praying that this baby is on it's way or perhaps here already!. Praying that you have a smooth labor and that it's everything you wanted it to be. Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear Colleen. What.a.week. Crazy, crazy. I hope that after this week you've had you will be going (or have already gone) in SOON. Not one more pregnant weekend. C'mon baby Martini!!

    Sending all the prayers I can for safe and healthy delivery. I will be glued to my computer and eagerly awaiting photos!! {hugs} Bestie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, how not cool to be sick at the end of pregnancy!! Seems like being 39 weeks pregnant would be enough misery, right?!

    Hoping you do go into labor soon, but don't kill me if I kind of wish you have the baby on the 23rd. That's just a lucky number in this house. I was due with Bess on 3/23 (she wasn't born until 3/31), Joe is 12/23, Anne is 6/23, and Maisie is 5/23 . . . . plus, a niece and nephew are on 8/23 and 4/23. See? 23 is the number to use! :)

    But seriously, I hope it's before that . . . praying for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you get that baby very very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prayers for you, Colleen! And your mom, and your dad, and your baby, and whoever is on first.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that is a lot for your poor body to take on right before labor. I am guessing you got your membranes stripped. I had that done also, it definitely resulted in a baby soon after. Excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. can.not.wait! Thinking of your parents also...hope they feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooooooooooooooooooo! I so hope it is very soon! Best of luck - prayers for you during labor and for your ailing 'rents!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stomach bug days before due date? Rough! I'll be praying for a fast delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Here's hoping that no post since Thursday means a baby is here!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Here's hoping no post since Thursday means there is a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welp, it's been 27 hours since your midwife appointment. You bettah at least Instagram yourself on the way to the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm stalking your blog. This is when not having facebook just becomes a tragedy ;) prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Keep popping back to see if delivery story is up. Blessings to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi sweetie...
    You just crossed my mind.
    Hope you are snuggling a sweet smelling babe.
    If you are, congrats!!!!
    If not, sorry!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ohhhhhh, I hope that no posts for 4 days means NEW BABY!!! Can't wait to hear every detail :) Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Okay... I am now willing to jump in with the excitement that Baby Martini is here! Hope you're snuggling that bundle and enjoying your family of 8.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thinking of you....just been so so long!! I have checked like a zillion times a day!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...